Saturday, May 11, 2013

Color Wheel Assignment

I will post something since I am a little bit free today. 

Well, this project was like a month ago. Oh well, sorry for my lateness to post my very first Color project due to the limited amount of time I had. Btw, This class I am taking is Color: Theory & Design with Luark, again.
I think I have been repeating that I am taking with her so many times. Oh well, I am just showing my great fondness and admiration to her class :)



__________________________________

Wanna hear a little bit lecture of mine? :p
*If not, skip this part and directly go to the overview of my Color Wheel

In 17th Century, Sir Isaac Newton discovered the prism which can be used to break the light into linear distinctions known as rainbow. ... and light is bla.. bla... bla... and it is measured in bla.. bla.. bla.. [I won't lecture about physics]

Types of Color:
Additive
  • Color made by light (mixtures of light waves).
  • The three primaries are RGB (Red, Green, and Blue)
  • Whenever the colors are mixed, this adds to the total light rays and the combination color is lighter in value.
Subtractive
  • Color mixed with pigments (mixtures of paints).
  • The three primaries are RYB (Red, Yellow, and Blue)
  • Whenever the colors are mixed, each color subtracts each other and the combination color is darker in value.
  • All hues combined equal black!
Partitive Color Mix (Optical Mix)

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat (http://commons.wikimedia.org)
  • Small dots or patches of colors are placed adjacent to each other.
  • Colors are mixed by the eyes to form a new color.

Often used term:
Primary - The basis for all colors which cannot be mixed.
Secondary - The two different primaries which are mixed together.
Tertiary - The two different secondaries which are mixed together.
Hue - basic name for a color.
Value - Degree of darkness or lightness.
Intensity - The degree of purity of a hue.
Color Wheel - Basic color tool to help one combine colors.


So, which one do you think I'm working with in this class?
It's subtractive because additive can only be mixed by lights while partitive is a little bit complicated to learn because it involves pointillism which is a technique in art of adding small dots to a painting surface.

__________________________________


 Overview of my Color Wheel

So, This is the Color Wheel I did a month ago. 

Title Color Wheel

Materials and tools:
- Acrylic paint - ONLY RedBlue and Yellow!
- Watercolor paper
- 8.5" x 11" Bristol Board
- Pencil and eraser
- Scissors, Knife, ruler
- Rubber Cement and its eraser
- Cutting pad

RULES:

1. Paint a big area of the 12 different colors using ONLY Red, Blue, and Yellow. (NO black and white exist!)

2. Sketch your design and cut out the shapes and glue them into 8.5" x 11" Bristol Board. 

3. Colors MUST not lean to the other color.

4. ERASE PENCIL LINES AND REMOVE THE EXCESS RUBBER CEMENTS!


What do you see? What can you criticize from this?
So first question you might need to ask, are the colors accurate (meaning no colors are leaning to one side of the other color)? Then, what about the design? Are the primaries, secondaries and tertiaries easy to distinguish? What makes it good (or bad)?

Now, I will talk a little bit about my color wheel as an artist who creates this.
I have created very accurate colors in which no colors are leaning to the other color. It seems like Blue-Violet, Violet and Red-Violet (the three in the bottom) look almost the same. They look so but they are different. They are just dark in value and so are the hardest to distinguish. One way to differentiate these colors is by mixing white with each of them. Speaking about design quality, I can say I have done pretty effective job. Since this will act as a tool to me in this class, I prefer simpler, bigger, and easier-to-see color wheel. I have distinguished very clearly my primaries, secondaries, and tertiaries. I marked primaries with a sharp pointed edge, secondaries with a smoother edge (curve) and tertiaries with a very active contour (zigzag) with 3 sharp pointed edges indicating tertiaries.


Well, this is my Color Wheel. Mixing the colors can be pretty stressful but I am glad to have some good basics in colors. It does help me out a lot in this class. However, to get an even paint surface is probably the toughest part in this assignment. Guess what? Since this is acrylic paint, if you paint and make another layer on top of the color, it will grow darker and darker and it will piss you off, seriously!

Up next: Value Scale Assignment

tada~
Kenneth

1 comment:

  1. Wish you all the best for all your blogging efforts. .The post you presented really quality based and relevant as your creativity.
    Assignment help

    ReplyDelete