Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Pattern Assignment

Greetings!

This week is my midterm anyway. In fact, tomorrow is going to be my Chinese first Test!!! 
(-____-")7  haven't studied LOL...

You know, I really learn lots of things from this 2D Design class of Prof. Luark. I learn new art vocabularies. I learn how to do some crafting. I learn to become more creative. I learn how to criticize and review one's creation.

Anw I have claimed my second project, The Division of A Groundsheet, last week. I did get "Great" which I think is almost similar to Excellent from my professor. And what surprised me lot that time was, my works was being displayed as one of the very good examples. I was indeed so very extremely happy but, I still earned an A-. This discouraged me a little bit that time. Well, there's nothing to be sad about. I will try in this third project, I will make my pattern an A :)

PatterN, to be honest, is the most relaxing assignment I have ever got. Sketches can be done in graphic software. You just need to print it out and make 10 copies of it. Then recreate new patterns by cutting out your first copies. HOWEVER, be very very careful! It did take me not even 3 hours to do the variations. The REAL problem to me is copying. I did get problem in copying. The rough edges of the glued pattern appeared in my final copies. Directly, I went home and used my correction pen to hide the 'lines'. This took me longer hours because I really needed to be extra careful. And finally, I made new copies TT__TT (have spent so much money in copying)

And, here is my pattern collection.


And this is a picture of the tools I was using to create the patterns and hemmm... pattern pieces which has been cut up.
tools and pieces


Title : Pattern

Materials :
1. If you do it manually,
- one white construction paper
- some black  construction papers

2. If you do it in computer,

- computer or laptop with graphic software
- good printer

Tools :
- Pencil and eraser
- Scissors, Knife, ruler
- Rubber Cement and its eraser
- cutting pad

Steps :

* * * First Step * * * 
1. Sketch and build your pattern (I did it in computer using Photoshop. 100x easier!)
2. Make 10 copies of your original pattern

* * * Second Step * * *

1. Create 3 new, different, and CLEAR pattern by cutting up original patterns and reconstruct it into new motifs
2. Make a final copy of each of your 3 new pattern

RULES :
1. The paper format MUST be 8" x 10" and grid the format into 2" X 2" modules

2. Juxtapose one simple geometric shape and one complex asymmetrical shape in the corner of each module.
*YOU MAY USE YOUR GRAPHIC SOFTWARE ONLY IN THE FIRST STEP

3. Reconstruct 3 variations by cutting your original patterns. The new creations must be with clear repetition. The variations format may not be 8" x 10"

4. REMEMBER TO ERASE PENCIL LINES AND REMOVE THE EXCESS RUBBER CEMENTS!
5. Make a final COPY of your new pattern creations.


And this is my ORIGINAL PATTERN
O R I G I N A L
And from the Original, I recreate some different patterns. Keep playing with negative and positive shapes.
4 VARIATIONS 

Do you see CLEAR repetitions?? I do hope if you see them, if not, I would be in trouble. The fourth one may be simple but, personally, I think it's so cute :3
Oh well, I think it's time for me to study my chinese :p

*Any comments, incomes and critics on these would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tada~
Kenneth

3 comments:

  1. eh? how come you can produce 4 new pattern from the original one?
    pattern(or patterning XD)is awesome o_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first one the most and yes, I thought the fourth one was rather cute too.
    I think it's something about that little curl on the both ends of the middle object :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. By cutting and gluing :D But I don't like black and white patterns -___- The contrast between those two colors are too high and they are soooo monotone..

    ReplyDelete