Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

F-1 Visa

Applying for F-1 visa isn't as difficult as I think, it's very confusing instead. As long as you prepare and have complete needed-documents, your visa could be approved.

As I'm going to continue my higher education in US, I'm applying for F-1 visa in Jakarta. 
Oh yeah, I think this post could be helpful to those who are living in Indonesia that are planning to go to US for education. 


. . . Documents to prepare . . .

For F-1 visa, there are several documents* that are needed to be prepared and taken. For more info for documents-to-be-taken, click here
*It might change in the next couple years.

I was told to prepare these documents:
  • 2 Photos 5 x 5 (there are some rules for the photo, click here)
  • my passport and 1 copy of my passport
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of my ID card
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of my birth certificate
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of Family card
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of School Academic Transcripts
  • 1 copy of US Visa (if there is any)
  • some more documents**
Father and Mother's documents are also important as supporting documents
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of their passports
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of their ID cards
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of their birth certificates
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of Father's Business Licence (or SIUP)
  • 1 copy and 1 legalized copy of parents' marriage certificate
  • 1 copy of their US Visas (if there are any)
And the most important documents are :
  • Financial Evidence! (I use a deposit slip, a bank reference and a checking account or "rekening koran")
The last document is the most important one you need to prepare and take! If you pay to the university or college on your own, you must show that your parents are able to finance your study there (at least, show that you can pay for the first year of study)


. . . Preparing for Visa . . .

After you have been accepted to one university, you will get your I-20. Now , you should prepare for your visa. Before you apply for visa, there are several things to do.

First, pay SEVIS FEE online (more info, here) print the receipt out!!
Second, pay the VISA FEE (more info , here) keep the receipt!!
Third, fill DS-160 >> VERY IMPORTANT! Don't make any mistakes!
Last, schedule your visa interview date.
Last of all, pray and prepare the documents-to-be-taken
p.s. Again, this might change as well in the next couple years

Oh yeah, about "some more documents**", they're actually :
  • SEVIS receipt
  • I-20
  • VISA receipt
  • DS-160
  • Interview appointment

I guess, these are all if I'm not wrong. These five are truly very very importantThese documents along with your passport and photos will be given to specific person (I don't know what to call) before you have your interview. You will have your fingerprinting and lastly, you will have your interview :)

Oh yeah, forget to tell you that you also need a sponsorship letter from your parents which states that you will come back to your hometown after graduating.

Well, it's pretty confusing not?

But don't worry! You will have your visa approved as long as you bring along all the needed documentsI think for F-1 visa, it's much easier to get, so don't worry too much :) 
And for the interview, it's not very scary. They will just ask you some normal questions like, "what are you majoring in?", "why do you want to study in US?", etc.


p.s. 
Actually during the interview, the documents that he saw is only my Financial Evidence. All the documents I have taken, are not scanned or seen by him. Well, lucky me to get a very nice interviewer :) But, it's much better if you prepare all the documents, who knows if suddenly the interviewer needs to see some specific documents?

I hope this post is helpful :) Good luck for those who are going to apply for US visas!

Best Luck,
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment