- not wear black and white clothes because they symbolize DEATH.
- abstain from washing hair on the first day of CNY because doing so is thought to wash away luck or fortune.
- not use any brooms be it sweeping or dusting or even holding because on this day, it is associated with sweeping wealth away. No cleaning during CNY!
- avoid using any knives and scissors as they are believed to cut off people's fortune (only during that day tho).
- NOT say "4" (pronunced 'si' in hokkien)! It means death.
- refrain from speaking anything about horror stuffs and ghosts because they will bring bad luck.
- not lend ANY thing from ANY body! It is believed that if a person does so, he will be lending all the year.
- not break ANY things! Breaking things during this day infers that a person exposes himself to misfortune for the rest of the year.
- wear new clothes because new clothes symbolize new spirit.
- put on red clothes as red means bright, happiness and fortune.
Although these are just some kinds of old superstitions, I still sort of believe them. Well, it's best to avoid doing these stuffs during this day ;)
Well anyway, Happy Chinese New Year guys!